Antelope, Oregon

Antelope, Oregon

Antelope got its name from members of Joseph Sherar's party who saw antelope herds in the valley. The town got its post office in 1871. It flourished a few years as a commercial center for ranchers and sheepherders, until nearby Shaniko was connected to the Columbia Southern Railroad.

antel98DU0829 (Copyright © 2003 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures



Antelope, Oregon

Antelope began to fade.

antel98DU0821 (Copyright © 2003 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures



Antelope, Oregon

Ancient Order of United Workmen Hall, built 1898

In the 1980s, the town became US center for followers of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. They changed the name of the town into Rajneesh in 1984. One xear later, Bhagwan was deported back to India on charges of immigration fraud. The town's name was changed back to Antelope.

antel98DU0823 (Copyright © 2003 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures



Antelope, Oregon



antel98DU0827 (Copyright © 2003 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures



Antelope, Oregon

Old Shell gas station

antel98DU0833 (Copyright © 2003 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures



Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3

Ghost Town Map - Back to the Ghost Town index