Valedon, NM

Valedon, New Mexico

In 1895 three miners made a discovery in these hills. Gold, silver and copper were removed from the mines. In 1914, a Southern Pacific branch line from Lordsburg came up Avon Avenue through Shakespeare.

The post office opened in 1917, and by 1926 the population was estimated at two thousand. Valedon's boom had peaked in 1921. Phelps Dodge bought the property in 1931 and closed the mines in 1932 as the Great Depression suffocated private enterprise.

The town is on private property. Do not enter!

valedon1089-097 (Copyright © 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures

Ghost Town Map - Back to the Ghost Town index