Warehouse at Congress Junction
Congress was actually two separate places. "Mill Town" closer to the mine, featured the mill, company offices, a hospital and residences. "Lower Town" was located farther south, with the commercial district, restaurants, stores and saloons, two churches and a school. Virtually nothing but debris remains at either site except two cemetaries as lasting testaments to mans's presence.
Grave at the Pioneer Cemetery
By 1893 the Santa Fe, Prescott and Phoenix Railroad passed within 3 miles from the mine at Congress. The station, known as Congress Junction, gave life to a small community that featured its own post office. The mining town prospered into the mid 1930s. The post office at Congress closed in August of 1938 and its name was transferred to the post office at Congress Junction.