Grantsville was a small town of the 1870's that reached a peak population of 1'000.
Located in a canyon just south of the Ichthyosaur State Park, the town has melted away and only a few buildings are left standing.
Many foundations cover the site and the size of the mill tailings that extend down the canyon attest to the amount of mining done here.
The gold and silver in the Grantsville mining district were found in veins of porphyry, limestone and quartz running northwest to southeast, dipping into the earth at an angle.
Other metals were there in variety, such as lead, antimony and copper.
Milling was done by crushing and roasting according to information dated 1881, but other methods came in later as is evidenced by old flotation and paddle vats still in the ruins of one mill.