Built in 1878 in a heavily forested area, the town
was first called Forest City. As soon as the number of houses,
hotels and stores warranted, the town was incorporated with a
new name, St. Elmo.
At first, the town was of high moral
character. When the population passed the 2000 number, it
took on all the trappings of a single male population with
saloons, dance hall, bawdy houses and the like.