http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/
Duncan Residence at Animas Forks

The town was founded in 1873 when prospectors built log cabins near their claims. Because three rivers meet nearby it was called Three Forks of the Animas, later simplified to Animas Forks by the U.S. Postal Service.
animasforks1109-113 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
At almost 11'200 feet, the town suffered from the elevation's severe winters. Most of the miners would retreat in the fall and return the following spring. The hearty few who stayed were subjected to avalanches and isolation.
animasforks1084-088 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
In 1884, the year Silverton endured ten weeks without relief supplies, Animas Forks was snowbound for twenty-three days. Provisions would have come from Silverton, which had none to spare.
animasforks1084-091 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
In 1891, as mining declined, the town emptied. A brief resurgence occured in 1904 with the construction of the Gold Prince Mill, which was connected to its mine by a 2.4-mile tramway. Because of that mill, the Silverton Northern Railway was extended to Animas Forks, further raising expectations for the town.
But the mill closed in 1910, and Animas Forks lost its post office in 1915. In 1917, the mill was largely dismantled for use at Eureka's Sunnyside Mill further down the canyon.
animasforks1084-092 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
Vandals removed this building's porch, but BLM staff and volunteers rebuilt it in 1991.
animasforks1109-121 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
There are still 10 buildings standing.
animasforks1084-089 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
William Duncan Residence (1879)
animasforks1084-086 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
Bay window inside Duncan Residence
animasforks1109-117 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
animasforks1084-093 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
animasforks1084-087 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
animasforks1084-100 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
animasforks1109-111 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
animasforks1109-118 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
Columbus mine, started in early 1880's and last worked in 1939. (background, left)
animasforks1109-119 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures
animasforks1109-108 (© 2001 by Daniel Ter-Nedden) Buy pictures

Get updates: